Carbon Capture and Storage Course – Application of Oil and Gas Industry Skills to Subsurface Carbon Storage and Carbon Trading Economy
Sponsored By: Schlumberger – U3 Explore - Actus Veritas Geoscience – Code t3 – WeWeb
Friday, 22 April 2022, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. | Cartagena, Colombia
Who Should Attend
- Petroleum engineers
- Petroleum Economists
- Regulatory agencies
- National environmental and energy authorities
- Gain an understanding of both a technical approach to, and economic attractiveness of, subsurface decarbonization projects to geoscience, engineering, and economic professionals, companies, and national entities.
- Map petroleum geoscience skills to the needs of the CCS/CCUS industry
- Get introduced to a practical path to profitable net-zero operations, with a positive impact on Social, Environmental, and Government priorities.
- Understand the economy of carbon credits and their relevance to the economy and development of subsurface decarbonization projects.
Part One - Carbon Subsurface Storage
Welcome and introduction to the geotechnical workflows and methodologies in Subsurface Carbon Storage projects.
Key Questions to be Addressed:
- What geotechnical workflows and project best practices already established in the oil and gas industry are applicable in CCS/CCUS subsurface characterization?
- What is the value of new and existing standard geologic and geophysical data?
- What is the value of the CCS projects for carbon-neutral/negative oil and gas operating companies?
- What are the time frames of CCS projects?
||Introduction to the course, instructors, course agenda, and key G&G concepts.
Instructor: Juan F. Arminio
||SESSION 1: Best Practices for Identification of Geologically-Appropriate Sites for Injection and Understanding the Risks and Uncertainties in Container-Capacity
Instructors: Kevin Schofield & Katya Casey
||SESSION 2: Stage-Gate Processes for Managing Capital-Intensive Injection Projects
Instructor: Kevin Schofield
||Lunch: Moderated session over lunch assessing opinion of the audience on the challenges and opportunities for CCS industry in Latin America
||SESSION 3: Geoscience Data Collection for Container Characterization: Lab-Based Rock, Pressure & Fluid Analytics, and Use of Geophysical Legacy Data
Instructors: Katya Casey & Marel Sanchez
Part Two - Decarbonization Business Model and Carbon Credits Trading
The market development for decarbonization projects is poorly understood and is unevenly developing around the world. Lessons learned from numerous projects will be presented, addressing the following key points:
- What benefits can be derived from CCS/CCUS projects in South America in particular?
- What are the advances of regulation and government participation in CCS/CCUS initiatives?
- How can O&G corporations, governments, and individuals participate and benefit from carbon credit trading?
- What are the business drivers for oil and gas operators to develop CCS/CCUS projects?
- What is the role of technology in decarbonization?
||SESSION 4: Insights Into Blockchain-Powered Carbon Credit Lifecycle Management
Instructor: Slavo Pastor
||SESSION 5: Injection site preparation, monitoring, and management
Instructor: Nestor Danilo Vasconez
||SESSION 6: Panel of Subject Matter Experts Q&A
Informal Discussion about Environmental, Social, and Economic Impacts of an Anticipated Global Surge of Decarbonization Projectsn as well as Opportunities and Risks.
- $150 Professionals
- $50 Students
- Room Assignment:
- Cartagena Convention Center
- Attendee Limit:
- 50 People (Limit 5 Students)
Centro de Convenciones de Cartagena de Indias
Getsemaní, Cra 8
+57 5 6544000